Kolhrabi Carrot Fritters
Serves: 8 fritters
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 kohlrabi
- 1 carrot
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ cup grapeseed or vegetable oil (enough for ¼-inch depth in a large skillet)
- Green onions (for garnish)
WHAT TO DO
- Cut the leaves off the kohlrabi and peel the bulb. Peel 1 carrot. Shred the vegetables in a food processor, or by hand using a grater. Squeeze the shredded vegetables in a tea cloth (or with your hands) to remove moisture, then add to a medium bowl with 1 egg, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon cayenne. Mix to combine.
- Place ½ cup oil in a large skillet (enough for ¼-inch depth). Heat the oil over medium high heat, then place small patties of the fritter mixture into the oil. Fry on one side until browned, then fry on the other side. Remove and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve fritters with sour cream and sliced green onions.
These fritters are best eaten warm the day of making; they don’t save well.