Hot Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons best olive oil, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons salted capers, soaked in water and drained, or brined capers, rinsed
- 1/3 cup pitted Nicoise olives
- 6 basil leaves, torn or slivered
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound small shell-shaped pasta
- A few drops of balsamic vinegar (optional)
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Meanwhile, mix the tomatoes in a large bowl with the shallot, garlic, olive oil, capers, olives, and basil. Season with a little salt and pepper.
2. When the water is boiling, add salt and cook the pasta. Drain the pasta, shake off the excess water, add the hot pasta to the tomatoes, and toss. Taste for salt, add pepper and a few drops of vinegar if you like, and serve.
Makes 4 servings
From Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison’s Kitchen